Tuesday 13 May 2014

Friday February 14, 2014

Dinner for 2

Oysters with Burnt Butter paired with Pomegranate Fizz
Fig and Prosciutto Salad paired with a White Blend from Ontario
Seared Fillet Mignon with Garlic Mash and Roasted Brussel Sprouts paired with a Cab Sav from Australia
Macerated Berries & Vanilla Cream paired with Ontario Ice Wine

It is Friday Night and it is Valentine's Day.  Now I am not one to put a whole lot into Valentine's Day, I buy my kids and my husband some chocolate and if I can, I make a late night dinner for just the two of us.  Anyone with kids and busy schedules knows it is hard to carve out alone time and I often would make a late night dinner for the two of us when the kids were small.  I was so happy to be able to prepare a dinner just for us this Friday complete with wine pairings.

We started with Cooked Oysters with Burnt Butter paired with Pomegranate Fizz.  I have only ever shucked my oysters and steamed or broiled them so this was a new cooking technique.  


I am not sure I loved the oysters prepared this way.  I felt they dried out a little in the oven, but maybe it was a timing thing.  Burnt butter drizzled over them was delicious and the pomegranate fizz made with wine, pomegranate juice and soda water was fantastic.

Second course was Fig and Prosciutto Salad   by Jamie Oliver paired with the white wine I used earlier for the fizz.  


This salad is so simple but so fantastic.  It was worth it to buy real buffalo mozzarella and the best prosciutto I could find.  Only a little bit of each was needed so it wasn't too costly. A definite treat.  I love figs but my husband is not that big of a fan however, he found this salad amazing and was raving about it.  Thank you Jamie Oliver.

The main course was a seared fillet mignon with garlic mash and roasted brussel sprouts.   I paired it with a beautiful Cabernet Sauvignon we brought back from Australia.  The wine we brought back on our return is dwindling so we certainly savour the ones we have now.


 I seared the steaks in butter and oil with a little thyme and cooked them to medium rare, they are toped off with the pan juices and a little green onion.  The potatoes are boiled and mashed with some cream, butter, confit garlic, salt and pepper.  The brussel sprouts are cut in half and roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Usually they continue to show some green for a little less of a brown on brown presentation but unfortunately they were a little over done.  I still have trouble with timing some days.

Dessert was Macerated Berries with Vanilla Cream paired with an Ice Wine from Ontario.

A wonderful way to end a beautiful meal.  Not too heavy or rich. 





No comments:

Post a Comment